- 1 Background
- 2 Additional Relevant Facts
- 3 Relationship to #Pizzagate
- 3.1 Connection to Digital Entertainment Network
- 3.2 Connection to Dana Giacchetto and Jeffrey Epstein
- 3.3 Connection to Kevin Spacey
- 4 Articles
- 5 Needs Integration
- 6 See Also
Bryan Jay Singer (born September 17, 1965) is an American film director, film producer, writer, and actor. He is the founder of Bad Hat Harry Productions and he has produced or co-produced almost all of the films he has directed. He wrote and directed his first film in 1988 after graduating from university. His next film, Public Access (1993), was a co-winner of the Grand Jury Prize at the 1993 Sundance Film Festival. In the mid-1990s, Singer received critical acclaim for directing the neo-noir crime thriller The Usual Suspects (1995), which starred Stephen Baldwin, Benicio del Toro and Kevin Spacey. He followed this with another thriller, Apt Pupil (1998), about a boy's fascination with a Nazi war criminal.
In the 2000s, he became known for big budget superhero films such as X-Men (2000), for which Singer won the 2000 Saturn Award for Best Direction, its sequel X2 (2003), and Superman Returns (2006). He then directed the WWII historical thriller Valkyrie (2008), co-wrote/co-produced X-Men: First Class (2011), and directed the fantasy adventure film Jack the Giant Slayer (2013), as well as two more X-Men films, X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014) and X-Men: Apocalypse (2016). He has also directed and produced television shows, including two episodes of House in 2004.
Personal life Singer is openly bisexual, and has said that his life experiences of growing up as a minority influenced his movies. In October 2014, it was confirmed he was expecting a child with actress Michelle Clunie. The couple's first son, Dashiell Julius William Clunie-Singer, was born on January 5, 2015.
In 1997, a 14-year-old extra accused Singer of asking him and other minors to film a shower scene in the nude for the film Apt Pupil. A lawsuit was filed but dismissed for insufficient evidence.
In April 2014, Singer was accused in a civil lawsuit of sexual assault of a minor. According to the suit filed by attorney Jeff Herman, Singer is alleged to have drugged and raped actor and model Michael Egan in Hawaii and Los Angeles in the late 1990s. Singer's attorney called the allegations "completely fabricated" and said Singer planned to countersue. Singer denied the allegations in a statement calling them "outrageous, vicious, and completely false." On May 22, 2014, Singer's attorney presented evidence to Federal District Judge Susan Oki Mollway stating that neither Singer nor Egan were in Hawaii at the time. In early August 2014, Egan sought to withdraw his lawsuit via a Request for Court Order of Dismissal, and asked that it be granted "without prejudice or an award of costs or fees, in the interest of justice."
In May 2014, another lawsuit was filed by attorney Jeff Herman on behalf of an anonymous British man. Both Singer and producer Gary Goddard (who was also named separately in the first case) were accused of sexually assaulting "John Doe No. 117." According to the lawsuit, Goddard and Singer met the man for sex when he was a minor and engaged in acts of "gender violence" against him while in London for the premiere of Superman Returns. The charge against Singer in this case was dismissed, at the accuser's request, in July 2014. The case against Goddard remained active.
Singer is cited in the 2014 documentary film on child sexual abuse in Hollywood, An Open Secret, though the film makes no specific allegations against him.
Additional Relevant Facts
Case Prior to DEN Related Cases
Apt Pupil Suits
Article about "Naked Shakedown", the Apt Pupil incident:
Diana Stockdale (mother of victim) v. Bryan Singer (and others) Docket Report:File:Diana Stockdale v. Bryan Singer.pdf
Ben Scott Baker v. Bryan Singer (and others) Docket Report:File:Ben Scott Baker v. Bryan Singer.pdf
From the Variety article, Third suit vs. ‘Pupil’ principals, by Variety Staff, published on May 16th, 1997:
A third lawsuit has been filed by an extra against the producers and director of “Apt Pupil” for allegedly filming him in a nude shower scene without prior notice or prior consent. Ben Scott Baker, in a complaint filed in Los Angeles Superior Court, claimed he was ordered to strip naked once on the set at Elliot Middle School on April 2 and was told he would be fired if he left or refused to perform nude. The suit also alleges that a still photographer took indecent pictures of the boys “for no legitimate purpose related to the filming” and that the incident caused Baker to go from being a straight-A student to getting grades as low as a C.
Relationship to #Pizzagate
Connection to Digital Entertainment Network
Michael F. Egan, III v. Bryan Jay Singer
Complaint:  Filed in the US District Court for the District of Hawaii.
Locally Hosted Copy:File:Egan-vs-singer-complaint.pdf
John Doe 117 v. Bryan Singer and Gary Goddard
Bret Easton Ellis Confirms Underage Parties
Milo Yannopolous Confirms Underage Parties
Connection to Dana Giacchetto and Jeffrey Epstein
Connection to Kevin Spacey
- 2May1997  - (EW) An indicent proposal on the set of 'Apt Pupil'
- 15June2009  - (Queerty) Los Angeles’ A-Gays Gather at Roland Emmerich + Bryan Singer’s Post-Pride Party
- 17April2014  - (NY Daily News) Bryan Singer sexual abuse accuser: I was 'a piece of meat' to Hollywood band of men
- 18April2014  - (Hollywood Reporter) Bryan Singer Drops Out of DC 'Creativity Conference' With Joe Biden
- - 18April2014  - (IndieWire) The Bryan Singer Allegations: Let’s Talk About White Male Privilege, Not Gay Culture
- Defamer/Gawker, The Great Big Bryan Singer Sex Party Mailbag, by Jordan Sargent, published on April 18th, 2014.
- 30April2014  - (Hollywood Reporter) Bryan Singer Sex Abuse Case: The Troubling History Behind the Accusations
- Buzzfeed, Exclusive: NYPD Is Investigating Hollywood Director Bryan Singer For Alleged Sex Crime: The Special Victims Squad of the New York Police Department is investigating a complaint that Singer forcibly sexually assaulted a man in his twenties — but Singer has not been charged with a crime., published on August 29th, 2014.
- 25Jan2017  - Bryan Singer Will Direct X-Men TV Pilot
- wiki page: (see Sexual Abuse allegations section)